Monday, March 27, 2006

Sacred Marriage

This weekend, my wife and I had the priviledge of attending a seminar by Gary Thomas, author of Sacred Marriage. What an incredible time of teaching and reflection!

In Sacred Marriage, Thomas expounds the idea that God designed marriage as a means of sanctification. Within our normally imperfect marriage, and due to the fact that we are both sinners (James 3:2a), we have our selfishness, our pride, and our focus on ourselves exposed to the light. It is in God's purpose within marriage that we become holy, as He is holy. And this process comes about by our learning to love our spouse, as God really intended. It is not a Hollywood romanticism, but a God-centered, self-sacrificing love for the other person.

One of the many principles that impacted me was the knowledge that my wife is God's child. My wife is the daughter of the King of kings! So God is my Father....in law! And knowing that, I should be very aware of how I treat the King's daughter, because He is very aware of it! So I should love my wife, in reverence to the Lord!

2 Corinthians 7:1 "Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home