Friday, October 20, 2006

My Righteousness in Heaven

Another excerpt from Iain Murray's The Old Evangelicalism, quoting John Bunyon:

One day, as I was passing in the field, and that too with some dashes on my conscience, fearing lest yet all was not right, suddenly this sentence fell upon my soul, Thy righeousness is in heaven; and methought withal, I saw, with the eyes of my soul, Jesus Christ at God's right hand; there, I say, as my righteousness; so that wherever I was, or whatever I was adoing, God could not say to me, He [lacks] My righteousness, for that was just before Him. I also saw, moreover, that it was not my good frame of heart that made my righteousness better, not yet my bad frame that made my righteousness worse; for my righteousness was Jesus Christ himself, the same, yesterday, and today, and for ever.

Now I could look from myself to Him, and should reckon that all those graces of God that were now green in me, were yet like those cracked groats and fourpence-halfpennies that rich men carry in their purses, when their gold is in their trunks at home! Oh, I saw my gold was in my trunk! In Christ, my Lord and Saviour! [19][20]

[19] The Old Evangelicalism - Old Truths For A New Awakening, Iain H. Murray, Banner of Truth Trust, 2005, pp 97-98.
[20] Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners (1666), John Bunyan, Vol 1., Banner of Truth Trust, 1999, pp 35-36.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home