Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Mortification of Sin

Several weeks ago, I shared with a group of men that I desired to get at the heart of my sin, more than I desired to just "stop" sinning in any particular category. To be sure, I desire to stop sinning, but ultimately, my sin comes up and out of my own heart. It seemed that a few didn't understand me, thinking perhaps I was not serious about sin. In fact, I'm deadly serious about it, since Jesus Christ my Lord DIED because of it.

Yesterday, as I was reading in Overcoming Sin & Temptation by John Owen, I read this quote. It is puritan-ese, so re-re-reread it as necessary. It is profoundly powerful.

"A man may beat down the bitter fruit from an evil tree until he is weary; while the root abides in strength and vigor, the beating down of the present fruit will not hinder it from bringing forth more. This is the folly of some men; they set themselves with all earnestness and diligence against the appearing eruption of (sinful behavior), but, leaving the principle and root untouched, perhaps unsearched out, they make little or no progress in this work of mortification." [1]

[1] Overcoming Sin & Temptation, John Owen, Crossway Books, 2006, p75-76.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home