Monday, May 08, 2006

A Stewardship of Pain

Here’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately.

What do you have that you did not receive?1 Cor 4:7

The Lord kills and brings to life; he brings down to Sheol and raises up. The Lord makes poor and makes rich; he brings low and he exalts.1 Sam 2:6-7

I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the Lord, who does all these things.” Isa 45:7

“God is over all things, and nothing happens apart from his knowledge and will. By the time suffering or depression comes to our doorstep, God did it. To believe anything else is to opt for a universe that is random and out of control, without a guiding hand bringing all things to a purposeful and awe-inspiring conclusion.” 1

Since God is sovereign, and since I have been suffering daily with horrible physical pain and depression, I must acknowledge that these have been given by the Lord for my good. Like the Steward given charge over the Master’s goods, I have been given a charge, entrusted with a suffering. Suffering has a purpose. It is a tool of the Master to change us, to conform us into the image of Christ.

So as with any other entrusted gift, I am learning to be a good steward of pain. Pray that I will be faithful with it.

1. Depression – A Stubborn Darkness, Edward T. Welch, Punch Press, 2004, p. 41.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is going to be long, but this has ministered to me so much! Ps 18:4-19 NLT
"The ropes of death surrounded me; the floods of destruction swept over me. The grave wrapped its ropes around me; death itself stared me in the face. But in distress I cried out to the Lord; yes, I prayed to my God for help. He heard me from his sanctuary; my cry reached his ears. Then the earth quaked and trembled; the foundations of the mountains shook; they quaked because of his anger. Smoke poured from his nostrils; fierce flames leaped from his mouth; He opened the heavens and came down; dark storm clouds were beneath his feet. Mounted on a mighty angel, he flew, soaring on the windgs of the wind. He shrouded himself in darkness, veiling his approach with dense rain clouds. The brilliance of his presence broke through the clouds, raining down hail and burning coals. the Most High gave a mighty shout. He shot his arrows and scattered his enemies; his lightninig flashed and they were greatly confused. Then at your command, O Lord, at the blast of your breath, the bottom of the sea could be seen, and the foundations of the earth were laid bare. He reached down from heaven and rescued me; he drew me out of deep water, He delivered me from my powerful enemies, from those who hated me and were to strong for me. They attacked me at a moment when i was weakest. but the Lord upheld me. He led me to a place of safety; he rescued me because he delights in me......" feel free to read the rest.... :) so amazing how God is with David...So awesome how God sees David and the word picture we have here..... so wonderful that he chose us to be His children whom he delights in as well...
Prayers for you and your family that God will be very near you all as a family at this time!

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home